Tim Schbasky, creator of Project Your Space, recently synthesized the findings of a survey he collected from 217 coworkers for his master’s thesis at Cass Business School. These findings are meant to help coworking spaces understand the characteristics of their constituents and the industry as a whole.
The most compelling stat from the survey I found was this:
42.3% of those surveyed said that community is the #1 reason they select a particular coworking space. We at 100state consider that our focus and hope it to be our best offering.
Here are some other interesting stats I pulled from his work:
- 64% of those surveyed are under 36.
- I thought it would be an even higher percentage under 36.
- Over half of the surveyed are coworking in the USA.
- This, to me, is like winning the gold medal in coworking. I’ll be checking the mail.
- Only 32% of coworkers are female.
- Only ~25% are female at 100state! Time to deploy Operation “Attract more females.” Spray on some Axe body spray.
- When asked about which industry they’re in, 37% (the majority) are in IT or communications.
- The smallest group, at 2%, is ‘administrative and support service activities, which is so vague one can only assume it is a front.
- Self-employed coworkers (freelancers) dominate the coworking market.
- These self-centered do-gooders refuse to hire others! We must overtake them, small business leaders.
- Over 80% of coworkers are on a monthly membership plan at their space.
- 11.3% selected ‘other,’ which makes me wonder if they even pay. Hmm…